Do you have a passion for designing and developing products that make a difference? Carry a sketchbook full of new textile or furniture ideas? Spend your spare time researching unique global traditions and techniques? If so, you may be the Design Intern The Citizenry is looking for.
We are looking for someone who shares our passion for socially conscious goods and is eager to work within these constraints to create the highest quality products imaginable. The ideal candidate loves problem solving, has killer presentation skills, and is jazzed about playing an integral (and not always easy) role in a small, fast-paced startup environment.
This role will assist the design team in the design and development of new collections, from furniture and accents to pillows and rugs. With no two days alike, you’ll be learning a lot with us.
WHAT WE'RE LOOKING FOR
- Eye for design. You have an appreciation for home décor and a firm grasp of The Citizenry’s aesthetic.
- Strong sketching abilities.
- Proficiency in Adobe Illustrator, Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, and PowerPoint.
- Strong research skills. From weaving techniques in Vietnam to leather color trends, you’re ready to dive in.
- Go-getter. You have a get-it-done and no-task-too-small attitude.
- All about the details. You pay attention to the little things and can help quality-control samples and documents to make sure everything is in its right place.
- Quick learner. You have a knack for picking things up quickly.
- Organized juggler. You take a busy day in stride. You can handle multiple projects and self-manage time.
- Problem solver. You take action. You see a problem and quickly move to resolve it.
- A sense of humor. Days can get long. Problems can get tricky. As long as we can laugh together, it’s all fun.
- Maintain and organize design resources and library (swatch books, visual product boards, reference samples, supplies)
- Review first, second, third (you get the picture) samples with an eye for detail. Create initial comments.
- Support Product Development by assisting in artisan research, attending artisan vetting calls, conducting competitive research.
- Create beautiful and straightforward design presentations (for internal teams and artisan partners)
- Assist in creating technical sketches and specification documents that are clear across languages, cultures, and varying literacy levels
- Roll up your sleeves and help fill in gaps when needed (after all, we are a startup)
- Able to work at least 40 hours per week for 10 – 12 weeks
- Able to bring laptop computer
- Able to commit to living in Dallas for the duration of the internship
- Must be pursuing a degree in design (Industrial Design, Furniture, Fashion, Textile, Fibers, Interior Design)
ABOUT THE CITIZENRY:
The Citizenry is a modern home brand created to inspire people to fill their homes with more meaningful items crafted by the best artisans around the world.
By selling directly to consumers online, we’re able to offer handcrafted, luxury-quality home goods at more reasonable prices than high-end boutiques. We also believe our designs are only as beautiful as the environments in which they are made, so social innovation is an integral part of our model.
In addition to providing fair wages and working environments for all artisan partners, 10% of proceeds are invested back into artisan communities worldwide.
Since launching in August 2014, The Citizenry has been featured in The New York Times, The Financial Times, Vogue, InStyle, GQ, Apartment Therapy, and Monocle.
If you would like to apply, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org by July 1, 2020 including your answers to the questions below (no cover letter required). Title the email “Design Intern Application – [Your Name]” and attach your resume and a sample of your portfolio.
- In less than 7 sentences, what is the one thing that makes you most excited about this position?
- What is your 140-character (limit) manifesto or biography? Get creative.