The Citizenry partners with thousands of artisans all over the world to bring their storied, time-tested craftsmanship to the modern home. Our goal? Create a new type of home decor shopping experience that delivers inspiring designs - and the stories behind them - with unprecedented standards of quality, transparency, and social responsibility.
We are seeking a Design Intern who shares our passion for socially conscious goods and is eager to work within these constraints to create the highest quality products imaginable. The ideal candidate is an intrinsically motivated team player that loves solving problems and is jazzed about playing an integral (and not always easy) role in a small, fast-paced startup environment.
The Design Intern, Textiles is a key member of our close-knit design team, where we are constantly dreaming up new collections. In this role, you will report directly to our Textiles Designer and will be provided with the opportunity to have a direct impact on the creation of new products.During the internship, you can expect the following:
- Leadership of a design project
- Direct and constructive feedback of your sketches, specification sheets, and samples including meetings with the Design Director
- Participation in meetings across teams (including Production, Planning, Marketing) as part of the process of bringing designs from sampling to production
- Performance reviews throughout the internship
WHAT WE'RE LOOKING FOR
- Pursuing or has a BFA in Textiles, Fibers or related field
- Strong sketching abilities
- Proficiency in Solidworks, Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, Google WorkSpace and PowerPoint
- Eye for design. You have an appreciation for home décor and a firm grasp of The Citizenry’s aesthetic.
- Strong research skills. From joinery techniques to color trends, you’re ready to dive in.
- All about the details. You pay attention to the little things and can help quality-control samples and documents to make sure everything is in its right place.
- Quick learner. You have a knack for picking things up quickly.
- Organized juggler. You take a busy day in stride. You can handle multiple projects and self-manage time.
- Problem solver. You take action. You see a problem and quickly move to resolve it.
- Thrives in a tight-knit community of colleagues bound by mutual respect and a shared mission, willingness to work at all levels to support the team or push the business forward
- Desire to make a positive impact in the world and the day-to-day team culture
- Passion for the job and The Citizenry’s brand and vision
- Assist in the design and development of new textile collections
- Maintain and organize design resources and libraries (swatch books, visual product boards, samples, supplies).
- Review first, second, third (you get the picture) samples with an eye for detail. Create initial comments.
- Support the Product Development team by assisting in artisan research, attending artisan vetting calls and conducting competitive research.
- Create beautiful and straightforward design presentations (for internal teams and artisan partners).
- Assist in creating technical sketches and specification documents that are clear across languages, cultures, and varying literacy levels.
- Roll up your sleeves and help fill in gaps when needed (after all, we are a startup).
Some benefits & perks of working at The Citizenry:
- Access to a beautiful on-site gym
- Inspiring office environment stocked with craft coffee and healthy snacks
- Fall 2021: Flexible in-office schedule, planning 2 - 3 days in Dallas office
- Allowances and discounts for really pretty home goods
ABOUT THE CITIZENRY:
The Citizenry is a modern home brand created to inspire people to fill their homes with more meaningful items crafted by the best artisans around the world.
We believe a design can only be as beautiful as the environment in which it’s made, so we demand quality – not just in our designs we create, but also in the lives of the artisans we partner with. We partner with thousands of artisans to craft our exclusive collections, and on average, each is paid wages that are more than two times the fair-trade standard.
The Citizenry was recently named one of Fast Company’s Top 20 Most Innovative Retail Companies and one of Interbrand’s Top Breakthrough Brands of 2020. Since launching in August 2014, the company has been featured in The New York Times, Financial Times, Vogue, and many other publications.
We chose the name “The Citizenry” to reflect the collective of individuals – artisans, designers, and dreamers – who rally together across cultures and continents to set new standards for the industry.
As an equal opportunity employer, we celebrate diversity and believe our team is better when we have different perspectives, identities, origins, and abilities working together.
We welcome your application and look forward to getting to know you and your story.
If you would like to apply, please send an email to email@example.com with a sample of your portfolio and your answers to the questions below (no cover letter required) by November 30. Title the email “Design Intern Application - [Your Name]” and attach your resume and a sample of your portfolio.
- In less than 7 sentences, what excites you about this role?
- After reviewing the products on our site, what style do you think is missing from our assortment, and why?