The Citizenry was created to celebrate and empower the people behind our products. Our goal is to shine a light on all the artisans, makers, designers and dreamers that work across countries and cultures to bring our collections to life. In fact, that’s why our co-founders picked the name “The Citizenry” years ago.
We are seeking a Hiring & Team Development Manager to help us grow our killer team (our most important asset), deepen culture, and build up the people of The Citizenry – near and far. The ideal candidate will play a critical role in scaling the business by finding, hiring, and developing exceptional talent to further our mission.
We’re looking for a natural leader who has the skills to build and manage a streamlined recruitment infrastructure within a fast-paced business. As thought partner and trusted advisor, you will report into our co-founders to help author policies and strategies that foster our innovative culture. You will also work cross-functionally with department heads to design and implement thorough on-boarding processes that ensure every new “Citizen” is set up for success.
- Develop and execute a full-funnel recruitment strategy, collaborate with department leads to attract, assess, and identify top candidates across a range of positions
- Build and maintain a strong candidate pipeline through established and new channels
- Orchestrate a hiring process that is robust, efficient, and unbiased for all candidates
- Implement systems that foster diverse candidate outreach, sourcing, and job-posting processes
- Ensure an impressive brand experience across every candidate touchpoint
- Manage background checks, offer letters, and new hire paperwork
- Ensure all new employees have appropriate welcome packages, equipment, business cards, etc.
- Lead orientation and management of all onboarding materials and programming
- Define what a best-in-class new hire experience looks like at The Citizenry, and create the systems, tools, and training to scale that vision across the organization
- Partner with co-founders to execute People Programs, including annual reviews, trainings, and culture initiatives. Research and implement performance management software, as needed.
- Conduct 30, 60, 90-day new employee performance check-ins with direct managers
- Work with leadership team to establish culture goals and see them through to execution
- Manage intern program, collaborate with leadership team to develop curriculum and training
- Update, reinforce, and interpret the employee handbook (crafting additions as needs arise)
- Assist Co-founders with general People Operations questions regarding application of policies
- Assist Accounting with all employee pay, benefits enrollment, and tax setup
- Support the annual benefits review process, including health insurance & retirement policies
- Maintain comprehensive Team Compensation database, including both historical and scheduled promotions, maternity leaves, raises, and bonuses
- Track team costs & forecasts on a monthly basis with Accounting and Finance
- Partner with Co-founder/COO to create a dashboard for employees to track equity compensation, monitoring share prices, progress, and vesting schedule
- Partner with Co-founder/CMO to coordinate annual summer social and post-holiday parties
- Manage anniversary perks for thirty-person (and growing!) team. From procuring spa gift cards (one-year anniversary) to international trips (three-year anniversary), coordinate all logistics.
- Self-starter with 5+ years of Recruiting and/or People Operations experience
- Preferred experience in digital retail, creative, or startup industry sector
- Experience using LinkedIn Recruiter and Zenefits a plus
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Business, HR, Psychology, or a related field
- Equal parts empathy and solutions when it comes to problem-solving
- Experience working in a fast-paced environment, ability to self-manage competing demands
- Strong presentation, communication, and interpersonal skills across all contexts
- Exceptional judgement, discretion, and creativity across changing situations and needs
- Masterful organizational skills, ability to work with precision and consistent follow through
- Proven ability to influence and guide consensus across disparate parties
- “People first” mindset with a passion for enhancing workplace connections and culture
- Driven to make a positive impact in the world and your day-to-day environment
- Ready to roll up your sleeves and help wherever needed
ABOUT THE CITIZENRY:
The Citizenry is a modern home brand created to inspire people to fill their homes with more meaningful items crafted by the best artisans around the world.
By selling directly to consumers online, we’re able to offer handcrafted, luxury-quality home goods at more reasonable prices than high-end boutiques. We also believe our designs are only as beautiful as the environments in which they are made, so social innovation is an integral part of our model.
In addition to providing fair wages and working environments for all artisan partners, 10% of proceeds are invested back into artisan communities worldwide.
Since launching in August 2014, The Citizenry has been featured in The New York Times, Fast Company, Forbes, The Financial Times, Vogue, InStyle, GQ, Apartment Therapy, and Monocle.
Some benefits & perks of working at The Citizenry:
- Three weeks/year flexible vacation time
- Health, dental, and vision insurance
- Fitness & Wellness reimbursement
- Inspiring office environment stocked with craft coffee and healthy snacks
- Friday breakfasts from the team’s favorite places
- Access to beautiful on-site gym
- Allowances and discounts for really pretty home goods
- Relocation package, if needed
If you would like to apply, please send an email to email@example.com including your answers to the questions below (no cover letter required). Title the email “Hiring & Team Development Manager Application – [Your Name]” and attach your resume.
- What is your 140-character (limit) manifesto or biography? This is only the length of a tweet, so get creative.
- What key “super power” would you bring to this role? What makes you uniquely qualified to attract, hire, and foster The Citizenry’s intrepid team? [No more than seven sentences]