The Citizenry is seeking a Principal Engineer to join our digital team as we continue to scale our growing online business. This role reports to the E-commerce Director and partners closely with our external design and development agencies, as well as our E-commerce and Marketing teams.
You’ll play a key role in identifying new technology platforms and external partnerships, working closely with leadership to define the organization’s technology and product roadmap. You’ll tackle challenges ranging from building custom features for new collection launches to redesigning and reconstructing core user experiences, all the way to developing enhancements for our proprietary inventory management solution. No day is the same, and as a thought leader in a digitally-native company, your primary focus will be bringing the highest-quality digital experience to market.
At The Citizenry, we value collaboration and believe success lies in the ability to distill inputs, identify the best approaches and deliver pixel-perfect digital products that improve the end user’s experience and contribute most to our rapidly-expanding business. Our dream engineer is excited to have a “seat at the table” and play a critical role in a fast-paced, ever-changing startup environment.
- Lead as technical architect and in-house developer to bring The Citizenry’s digital strategy and vision to life
- Partner with internal teams and agency partners to scope, construct and deliver new site features; assist with quality assurance and user acceptance testing, including peer code review
- Drive innovation in technical strategy to increase revenue and conversion on the site, including evaluation of new technologies (e.g. headless CMS)
- Play a key role in defining broader technology roadmap and assist with selection and implementation, including customer data platform, warehouse management, and ERP solutions
- Oversee design, architecture and long-term maintenance of technical systems
- Promote rapid problem solving, experimentation and prototyping; deliver solutions that operate within Shopify platform constraints with equal emphasis on flexibility and simplicity
- Own custom-built inventory solution, including bug resolution, enhancements and feature introduction
- Translate business requirements and design specifications into pixel-perfect code, ensuring best-in-class UX (including adherence with WCAG 2.0 standards for ADA compliance)
- Develop high quality code that is responsive, lightweight, and supports rapid page load
- Facilitate technologies required to bridge the gap between online and physical retail experiences
- 6+ years with both front-end and back-end e-commerce development experience
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field of study (Computer Science, Web Development, Graphic Design, New Media)
- Deep understanding of the Shopify platform; bonus points for headless commerce experience
- Expertise in React, Vue, Liquid, VanillaJS, JQuery, CSS
- Experience with cloud providers, DevOps, and API integration
- Strong communication skills, including the ability to present highly complex, technical concepts across every level of the organization
- Analytical, test & learn mindset with a focus on innovation and measurement of results
- Exceptional project management and problem-solving skills
- Understanding of UX best practices and an eye for visual design
- Keen focus on development best practices and technology innovations that will impact the e-commerce space
- DTC experience; bonus points for startup
- Passion for the job and The Citizenry’s brand vision
ABOUT THE CITIZENRY
The Citizenry is a modern home brand created to inspire people to fill their homes with more meaningful items crafted by the best artisans around the world.
We believe a design can only be as beautiful as the environment in which it’s made, so we demand quality – not just in the products we create, but also in the lives of the artisans we work with. We partner with thousands of artisans to craft our exclusive collections, and on average, they are paid wages two times the Fair Trade requirement. Together, we are setting new standards for retail.
The Citizenry was recently named one of Fast Company’s Top 20 Most Innovative Retail Companies and Interbrand’s Top Breakthrough Brands of 2020. Since launching in August 2014, the company has been featured in The New York Times, Financial Times, Vogue, and many other publications.
We chose the name “The Citizenry” to reflect the collective of individuals – artisans, designers, and dreamers – who rally together across cultures and continents to bring our collections to life.
As an equal opportunity employer, we celebrate diversity and believe our team is better when we have different perspectives, identities, origins, and abilities working together.
We welcome your application and look forward to getting to know you and your story.
Some benefits & perks of working at The Citizenry:
- Three weeks/year flexible vacation time
- Health, dental, and vision insurance
- Fitness & Wellness reimbursement
- Access to a beautiful on-site gym
- Inspiring office environment stocked with craft coffee and healthy snacks
- Summer/Fall 2021: Flexible in-office schedule, planning 2 - 3 days in Dallas office
- Allowances and discounts for really pretty home goods
- Relocation package, if needed
If you would like to apply, please send an email to email@example.com with your answers to the questions below (no cover letter required). Title the email “Principal Engineer – [Your Name]” and attach your resume.
- Tell us about the defining project of your career to-date. Why this project? (7 sentences or less)
- Communicating with users of all levels of technical expertise is critical in this role. Explain APIs to a non-technical user. (7 sentences or less)
BONUS POINTS: Include a few links to websites that showcase innovation within a category, while maintaining a best-in-class user experience. Tell us what they’re doing right.