The Citizenry was created to celebrate the best craftsmanship from around the world, and incredible design is an integral part of that vision. We are seeking a Product Design Director to lead the design and development of our home décor collections – an innovative thinker that can translate a craftsman’s skill into concepts that will resonate with The Citizenry consumer.
You must be a creative problem solver – ready to work across all mediums (textiles, accents, furniture, etc.), innovate within our artisan partners’ constraints (natural dye color cards, hand looms, etc.), and adopt sustainable, fair trade practices for development. You must also have significant experience in textile design and pattern making.
As the first member of our Product Design Team, you will work directly with our co-founders to build out the role and department as The Citizenry grows. You will also collaborate with the Marketing Team to create content and stories behind each design and the Operations Team to manage production timelines with our partners.
- Prepare sketches of ideas, detailed drawings and illustrations using computer-aided software
- Confer with internal teams and supplier partners to establish and evaluate design concepts
- Evaluate feasibility of design ideas, based on factors like appearance, function, and budget
- Coordinate the look and function of collections across different suppliers
- Work with co-founders to oversee the merchandising vision for the site
- Ensure products are consistently ahead of market trends while maintaining The Citizenry brand integrity
- Set seasonal yarn/color directions for artisan groups, working with each group’s dye cards
- Conduct new market research, studying country and category opportunities for new products
- Be a leader in the product development process, managing sourcing, design, sampling, and initial quality control checks across suppliers
- Develop internal standards and guidelines for sample development and suppliers’ processes
- Maintain a fast-paced and complex product development calendar, working across multiple categories, countries, and artisan partners countries
- Manage the budget for the department, determining tools and equipment needed
- Roll up your sleeves and help fill in gaps when needed (after all, we are a startup)
- BS or higher degree with 5+ years technical product design experience, with a specialty in textiles
- Knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principles involved in artisanal production
- Deep understanding of The Citizenry customer and design aesthetic
- Entrepreneurial attitude with strong creative thinking skills (originality, ability to visualize, fluency of ideas)
- Superior time and project management skills; able to shift gears seamlessly and take the ball to finish line
- Strong presentation and communication skills, able to work across internal teams and global cultures
- Fast-paced working style, as well as being highly organized and detail oriented
- Ability to sketch and execute hand and computer illustrations
- Ability to present ideas in a concept board format and execute technical sketches
- Proficient in Adobe CS Illustrator, Photoshop, and InDesign
- Experience or knowledge of pattern making software is a plus
- Comfortable with international travel
- Fluency in another language (Spanish, Arabic, Hindi, Vietnamese, Mandarin, etc.) is valued but not required
About The Citizenry
The Citizenry is a modern home decor brand created to inspire people to fill their homes with more meaningful items crafted by the best artisans around the world.
By selling directly to consumers online, we’re able to offer handcrafted, luxury-quality home goods at more reasonable prices than high-end boutiques. We also believe our designs are only as beautiful as the environments in which they are made, so social innovation is an integral part of our model. In addition to providing fair wages and working environments for all artisan partners, 10% of proceeds are invested back into artisan communities worldwide.
Since launching in August 2014, The Citizenry has been featured in The New York Times, The Financial Times, Vogue, InStyle, GQ, Apartment Therapy, and Monocle.
Some benefits and perks of working at The Citizenry:
- Equity in a rapidly growing company
- Flexible “My Time” vacation policy
- Monthly Health & Wellness Stipend
- Inspiring office environment stocked with craft coffee and healthy snacks
- Weekly breakfasts from the team’s favorite places
- Allowances and discounts for really pretty home goods
- Relocation package, if needed
If you would like to apply, please send an email to email@example.com including your answers to the questions below (no cover letter required). Title the email subject “Product Design Director Application – [Your Name]” and attach your resume.
- What is your 140-character (limit) manifesto or biography? Get creative.
- What’s a rough idea for one new product you think would do well on The Citizenry’s site?
Please note before submitting an application: as a company, we take hiring very seriously. Interviewing with The Citizenry may include video and phone interviews, projects, and/or on-site interviews. Although we are unable to follow-up with each and every application, we do our best to run a thorough process for candidates with whom we identify as a potential fit.