Do you have a passion for designing products that make a difference? Carry a sketchbook full of new textile or furniture ideas? Dream of color combinations? If so, you may be the Product Design Intern The Citizenry is looking for.
The Citizenry is a socially conscious home décor company reinventing the way people access artisanal goods from around the world. Country by country, we partner with master artisans, blending our modern style with their time-tested techniques. At our core, we believe products can only be as beautiful as the environments in which they’re made, so our design process is a very collaborative one that’s always adapting to constraints of different artisanal environments.
We are looking for someone who shares this passion for socially conscious goods and is eager to work within these constraints to create the highest quality products imaginable. The ideal candidate loves problem solving, has killer presentation skills, and is jazzed about playing an integral (and not always easy) role in a small, fast-paced startup environment.
This role will assist the Product Design Director in the design and development of new collections, from furniture and lighting to textiles and accents. With no two days alike, you’ll be learning a lot with us.
WHAT WE'RE LOOKING FOR
- Eye for design. You have an appreciation for home décor and a firm grasp of The Citizenry’s aesthetic.
- Strong sketching abilities. Bonus points for experience in 3D modeling or rendering.
- Proficiency in Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, and PPT or Keynote.
- Strong research skills. From weaving techniques in Vietnam to leather color trends, you’re ready to dive in.
- Go-getter. You have a get-it-done and no-task-too-small attitude.
- All about the details. You pay attention to the little things and can help quality-control products to make sure they fit with the original design.
- Quick learner. You have a knack for picking things up quickly.
- Organized juggler. You take a busy day in stride. You can handle multiple projects and self-manage time.
- Problem solver. You take action. You see a problem and quickly move to resolve it.
- A sense of humor. Days can get long. Problems can get tricky. As long as we can laugh together, it’s all fun.
- Research consumer trends and artisanal techniques across product categories
- Contribute to weekly product brainstorms and working sessions
- Create beautiful and straightforward design presentations (for internal teams and artisan partners)
- Prepare technical sketches and specifications
- Maintain color and sample libraries
- Roll up your sleeves and help fill in gaps when needed (after all, we are a startup)
- Able to work at least 15 – 20 hours per week (but full-time preferred) for 10 – 12 weeks
- Able to bring laptop computer
- Able to commit to living in Dallas for the duration of the internship
- Must be pursuing a degree in design (Industrial, Product, Furniture, Textile, Fibers, Interior)
ABOUT THE CITIZENRY:
The Citizenry is a modern home brand created to inspire people to fill their homes with more meaningful items crafted by the best artisans around the world.
By selling directly to consumers online, we’re able to offer handcrafted, luxury-quality home goods at more reasonable prices than high-end boutiques. We also believe our designs are only as beautiful as the environments in which they are made, so social innovation is an integral part of our model.
In addition to providing fair wages and working environments for all artisan partners, 10% of proceeds are invested back into artisan communities worldwide.
Since launching in August 2014, The Citizenry has been featured in The New York Times, The Financial Times, Vogue, InStyle, GQ, Apartment Therapy, and Monocle.
Some benefits and perks of an internship at The Citizenry:
- Discounts and allowance for some really pretty home goods
- Inspiring office environment stocked with craft coffee and healthy snacks
- Friday breakfasts from the team's favorite places
- College credit or a weekly stipend to help cover living expenses
If you would like to apply, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org by November 30 including your answers to the questions below (no cover letter required). Title the email “Product Design Intern Application – [Your Name]” and attach your resume and a sample of your portfolio.
- In less than 7 sentences, what is the one thing that makes you most excited about this position?
- What is your 140-character (limit) manifesto or biography? Get creative.