The Citizenry works with the best artisans around the world to create exclusive home goods. We are seeking a Product Development Manager to play the lead role developing new collections and refreshing existing ones.
At a rapidly growing company, this means designing the product roadmap and bringing it to life at an accelerated pace. You’ll play an integral role across the entire development lifecycle so a willingness to learn all facets of the process and continually problem-solve is a must. You won’t be working with factories - you’ll be working with artisan cooperatives across multiple countries & cultures and will travel internationally periodically.
The ideal candidate will have travelled extensively, speak multiple languages, developed strong research skills, have project management or product development experience at a top-tier organization, and have a natural ability to identify potential in people and products.
You must be a high-level strategic thinker and day-to-day executer, meticulous about finding the best artisans globally and partnering with them to create exceptionally high quality products at a competitive cost in an ethical manner – no shortcuts here. This is a highly visible role with opportunity for promotion – you must be collaborative yet a perfectionist, willing to go above and beyond to push the business forward.
- Identify and develop winning products with strong design and luxury quality at competitive prices
- Research trends and competitive opportunities in home goods, at both a category and product level
- Develop the roadmap for 2-3 new collections a year, including product assortments and pricing targets
- Research and network extensively to find and vet new partners in target countries / categories
- Develop new products with our artisans partners in a collaborative way to meet design specs; problem-solving, testing, and perfecting every step of the way
- Own the product development lifecycle, including sourcing, vetting, onboarding partners, cost negotiations, sampling, shipping, and overall execution up to launch
- Create & maintain a product launch process and calendar with input from both marketing and operations; deliver samples and collections on-time
- Lead weekly product development meetings with Founders, Design & Production Teams
- Work with Product Design Team to research best sizes, materials, finishes, care, etc. for different products
- Roll up your sleeves and help fill in gaps when needed (after all, we are a startup)
- Bachelor degree is required
- 5+ years experience, ideally in product development or buying at a fashion or lifestyle brand
- Fluency in other languages is important to connect with our partners and build relationships around the world. Spanish, French, Arabic, Vietnamese, Mandarin, or Hindi speakers preferred for this role.
- Strong communication and “people” skills, able to work across different time zones, languages, and cultures
- Category knowledge preferred; International travel is required several times a year for short periods
- Ability to juggle competing priorities, timelines, and anticipate problems in advance
- Exceptionally responsive across email, WhatsApp, Skype or other means of communicating with partners
- Ability to work cross-functionally, especially with creative people managing concepts from beginning to end
- Self-starter; comfortable with ownership and high level of responsibility
- Strong work ethic, intellectual curiosity, and commitment to continuous improvement
- Fast working, detail-oriented, and thoughtful. Bonus points for a sense of humor
- Driven to make a positive impact in the world and your day-to-day environment
- Passion for the job and The Citizenry’s brand vision
ABOUT THE CITIZENRY:
The Citizenry is a modern home brand created to inspire people to fill their homes with more meaningful items crafted by the best artisans around the world.
By selling directly to consumers online, we’re able to offer handcrafted, luxury-quality home goods at more reasonable prices than high-end boutiques. We also believe our designs are only as beautiful as the environments in which they are made, so social innovation is an integral part of our model.
In addition to providing fair wages and working environments for all artisan partners, 10% of proceeds are invested back into artisan communities worldwide.
Since launching in August 2014, The Citizenry has been featured in The New York Times, The Financial Times, Vogue, InStyle, GQ, Apartment Therapy, and Monocle.
Some benefits & perks of working at The Citizenry:
- Equity in a rapidly growing company
- Flexible “My Time” vacation policy
- Health, dental, and vision insurance
- Fitness & Wellness reimbursement
- Inspiring office environment stocked with craft coffee and healthy snacks
- Friday breakfasts from the team’s favorite places
- Allowances and discounts for really pretty home goods
- Relocation package, if needed
If you would like to apply, please send an email to email@example.com including your answers to the questions below (no cover letter required). Title the email “Product Development Manager – [Your Name]” and attach your resume.
- Pick a home décor item from a competitor’s website that you’ve seen appear frequently in press, blogs, and social media over the past 6-12 months and tell us why you think it’s been so successful? There’s no right or wrong answer. We just want to see how you think.
- What excited you most about this role? What unique skills will you bring to the team? (7 sentences or less)