We’re expanding our retail footprint here at The Citizenry, and we’re looking for a Store Leader to manage our growing retail presence in NYC. Our ideal candidate is a true leader in every sense of the word — seasoned, personable, motivated, results-oriented, and business-minded.
This is an entrepreneurial role, and you’ll help define The Citizenry’s physical brand experience and develop standards of excellence that will be rolled out to all future store locations. You’ll be leading our frontlines — managing an experienced sales team, executing our retail strategy, and making sure our customer experience is top notch.
The cherry on top? Your work will progress The Citizenry’s brand mission, helping to preserve artisanal craftsmanship and provide sustainable income to thousands of artisans around the world.
THE JOBWhat you'll be charged with day-to-day:
- Lead building The Citizenry’s retail presence in NYC by cultivating a best-in-class team, designing our store strategy, and setting our standards for excellence.
- Own four-wall P&L and financial metrics.
- Drive excellence in customer and brand experience.
- Coach, develop, and motivate the sales team, proactively identifying and addressing learning opportunities.
- Oversee key tasks, including: leading daily and weekly sales reporting, creating and enforcing open/close policies and procedures, processing and receiving stock transfer, managing our POS system, organizing the stockroom, and managing outside contractors.
- Collaborate with the HQ team to set store standards for visual merchandising and manage seasonal adjustments to product assortment and displays.
- Work with the HQ team to concept and execute in-store events that drive community and brand engagement (read: help throw fun parties!).
- Become an expert on our products for customers and other sales associates (including staying up-to-date on new product and collection launches).
- Work with the planning team to proactively identify sales opportunities and optimize assortment based on sales volume, sell thru, inventory turn, and customer insights.
- Push us! Constantly research, identify, and implement best practices for retail operations and let us know how we can be better.
ATTITUDES & BEHAVIORS
- You’re a natural leader. You’ve got management, communication, and organizational skills that can’t be matched.
- You’re strategic (and also a bit quirky). You’ve got a knack for solving highly complex operational problems — and find them exciting.
- You’re a force of positivity. You can motivate and manage a team, even when you’re under pressure.
- You own it. You own your responsibilities, you own where you can improve, and you stand behind your decisions.
- You like people. Starting a conversation? Easy. Difficult customer situation? You’ve got it — and you can train people on how to handle it, too.
- You’re entrepreneurial and scrappy. You’re comfortable in a fast-paced environment and interacting with VIPs, The Citizenry Founders & Directors.
- You’re passionate. Beyond the business acumen, you’re interested in design & travel, and believe in our brand.
- Bachelor’s degree is required; Advanced degrees/certificates are a plus
- 8-10 years specialty retail experience; 2 years in a manager or associate manager role.
- Luxury or contemporary management experience preferred (bonus points for fashion or home decor).
- Demonstrated ability to take ownership, drive sales, and grow business.
- Weekend availability required; flexible working schedule a must — including weekends, events, evenings, etc.
- Strong written and verbal skills (bonus points for additional language skills).
- Intermediate Excel skills.
ABOUT THE CITIZENRY:
The Citizenry is a modern home decor brand created to inspire people to fill their homes with more meaningful items crafted by the best artisans around the world.
By selling directly to consumers online, we’re able to offer handcrafted, luxury-quality home goods at more reasonable prices than high-end boutiques. We also believe our designs are only as beautiful as the environments in which they are made, so social innovation is an integral part of our model.
In addition to providing fair wages and working environments for all artisan partners, 10% of proceeds are invested back into artisan communities worldwide.
Since launching in August 2014, The Citizenry has been featured in The New York Times, Fast Company, Forbes, The Financial Times, Vogue, InStyle, GQ, Apartment Therapy, and Monocle.
If you’re up for this challenge, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org including your answers to the questions below (no cover letter required). Title the email “Store Leader Application - [Your Name]” and attach your resume.
- What excites you most about this role? What unique skills will you bring to the team, and what previous experiences will you draw from? (7 sentences or less).
- What brand creates your favorite store experience & why?
- Briefly describe a time you improved processes to create a better store experience.
We’re currently screening applications. If your experience is a good match for what we’re looking for, we’ll be in touch with a quick video interview, then arrange to meet you in person.