The Citizenry is seeking an experienced analyst to play a dual role leading planning processes and supporting strategic projects. You’ll report directly to our Co-Founder & COO.
As The Citizenry works with artisans managing small-batch production around the world, the Planning Manager must bring a thoughtful, analytical, and yet adaptable approach to managing the sales & inventory plans, gross margin targets, and product pricing.
Your role is to ensure that we have the right product at the right time, in the right quantities, and at the right price. You will oversee the preparation of monthly financial statements to appropriately manage the open-to-buy and report on inventory. Finally, you will also own key strategic projects that may involve in-depth consumer research, market research or office or retail expansion.
You must have excellent analytical skills (with a strong command of Excel & Powerpoint), a natural love of problem-solving, and the ability to iterate quickly. The ideal candidate has a background in strategy consulting or finance combined with planning experience at a fashion or home goods brand.
- Develop gross margin, buying and inventory plans; reforecast quarterly
- Build monthly inventory plans by SKU utilizing historical data and current trends, ensuring buying plans align with targets and a rapidly growing business; manage open-to-buy
- Oversee reconciliation and preparation of financial statements; report on outstanding purchase orders and inventory monthly
- Develop sales plans and target pricing for new collections and products
- Own and execute critical strategic projects involving consumer research, market research, potential retail expansion as well as new collection roadmap planning or fundraising as needed
- Roll up your sleeves and fill in gaps when needed (after all, we are a startup)
- Bachelor degree is required, business-related major preferred
- Minimum 3.5 GPA or exceptional GMAT/SAT/ACT scores required
- 2-5 years experience in strategy consulting, finance, or retail necessary
- Exceptional Excel & PPT skills with ability to organize data and pull out actionable insights
- Proven ability to make data-driven decisions, especially those related to inventory/buying
- Strong intuition and high-level strategic thinking required
- Ability to develop processes & reports from the ground up
- Self-starter; comfortable with ownership and high level of responsibility
- Strong work ethic, intellectual curiosity, and commitment to continuous improvement
- A “figure it out” mindset – there’s no problem too big or too complicated for you to solve
- Fast working, detail-oriented, and thoughtful. Bonus points for a sense of humor
- Driven to make a positive impact in the world and your day-to-day environment
- Passion for the job and The Citizenry’s brand vision
ABOUT THE CITIZENRY:
The Citizenry is a modern home brand created to inspire people to fill their homes with more meaningful items crafted by the best artisans around the world.
By selling directly to consumers online, we’re able to offer handcrafted, luxury-quality home goods at more reasonable prices than high-end boutiques. We also believe our designs are only as beautiful as the environments in which they are made, so social innovation is an integral part of our model.
In addition to providing fair wages and working environments for all artisan partners, 10% of proceeds are invested back into artisan communities worldwide.
Since launching in August 2014, The Citizenry has been featured in The New York Times, The Financial Times, Vogue, InStyle, GQ, Apartment Therapy, and Monocle.
Some benefits & perks of working at The Citizenry:
- Equity in a rapidly growing company
- Flexible “My Time” vacation policy
- Health, dental, and vision insurance + Fitness & Wellness reimbursement
- Inspiring office environment stocked with craft coffee and healthy snacks
- Friday breakfasts from the team’s favorite places
- Allowances and discounts for really pretty home goods
- Relocation package, if needed
If you would like to apply, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org including your answers to the questions below (no cover letter required). Title the email “Strategic Projects & Planning Manager Application – [Your Name]” and attach your resume.
- Pick an item on our site and tell us why you think it could be one of the strongest sellers. There’s no right or wrong answer. We just want to see how you think.
- What excites you most about this role? What unique skills will you bring to the team? (7 sentences or less)