Do you dream in patterns and perfect palettes? Take weaving workshops in your free time? Know in your bones that the devil is always in the details? You may be the Textile Designer we are looking for.
The Citizenry is on the hunt for an extremely detail-oriented Textile Designer to continue to modernize traditional textiles around the world. You must immediately “get” The Citizenry customer and style, be a master of sketching designs and creating specifics, and a top-notch communicator (to interface with The Citizenry Leadership Team and artisan partners around the world).
You will play a critical role on the The Citizenry’s Design Team, continuing to prove that thoughtful design has the power to transform industries and artisan communities for the better.
- Work directly with Product Design Director and Co-Founder to design seasonal and country-focused textile collections (expertise in pillows, throws, and/or rugs is critical)
- Concept and present comprehensive design sets that keep the “soul” of a country/ tradition in mind, while streamlining and innovating for the modern home
- Create technical sketches and specifics documents that are clear across languages, cultures, and varying literacy levels
- Collaborate and problem-solve with artisan partners to ensure the end product is as strong as the original vision. This means getting into the weeds, from understanding materials on warp and weft to researching zippers and trims available in-country
- Review first, second, third (you get the picture) samples with an eye for detail. Deliver comments to artisans in ways that are actionable, kind, and clear
- Constantly research artisanal and historical techniques, as well as monitor, consolidate, and present emerging interior design trends on a quarterly basis
- Work collaboratively with Planning team to identify opportunities in the textile category based on consumer research and data.
- Roll up your sleeves and help fill in gaps when needed (after all, we are a startup)
- BS or higher degree with 5+ years textile design experience
- Strong understanding and interest in handmade textiles and artisanal techniques, including knowledge of tools, principles, and limitations involved in artisanal production
- A firm grasp of The Citizenry customer and brand’s overall aesthetic
- Entrepreneurial attitude with strong creative thinking skills (originality, ability to visualize, fluency of ideas)
- Go-getter and problem-solver mindset. You have a get-it-done and no-task-too-small attitude. You see a problem and quickly resolve it.
- Superior time and project management skills; able to shift gears seamlessly and get the ball to the finish line with little oversight
- Strong presentation and communication skills, able to work across global cultures
- Quick-learner with a fast-paced working style. Moroccan kilims, Japanese shibori - give you 24 hours and you can become an expert on anything.
- You are always thinking, how can we do this better? You are perfectionist when it comes to product quality and construction and empathetic when it comes to artisan relationships overall.
- Strong sketching abilities, using both Hand Drawing and Adobe Illustrator
- Proficient in Adobe CS Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign, PPT / Keynote
- Comfortable with international travel
- Fluency in another language (Spanish, French, Hindi, etc.) valued but not required
- A sense of humor and down-to-earth attitude. Days can get long. Problems can get tricky. As long as we can laugh together, we’ll enjoy the process. We’re setting new standards for quality, transparency, and social responsibility in the category. It’s no small thing. It’s not always easy, but man - is it always worth it!
ABOUT THE CITIZENRY:
The Citizenry is a modern home brand created to inspire people to fill their homes with more meaningful items crafted by the best artisans around the world.
By selling directly to consumers online, we’re able to offer handcrafted, luxury-quality home goods at more reasonable prices than high-end boutiques. We also believe our designs are only as beautiful as the environments in which they are made, so social innovation is an integral part of our model.
In addition to providing fair wages and working environments for all artisan partners, 10% of proceeds are invested back into artisan communities worldwide.
Since launching in August 2014, The Citizenry has been featured in The New York Times, Fast Company, Forbes, The Financial Times, Vogue, InStyle, GQ, Apartment Therapy, and Monocle.Some benefits and perks of working at The Citizenry:
- Equity in a rapidly-growing company
- Three weeks/year flexible vacation time
- Health, dental, and vision insurance
- Fitness & Wellness reimbursement
- Inspiring office environment stocked with craft coffee and healthy snacks
- Friday breakfasts from the team’s favorite places
- Access to beautiful on-site gym
- Allowances and discounts for really pretty home goods
- Relocation package, if needed
If you would like to apply, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org including your answer to the question below (no cover letter required), a mood board for an upcoming collection and a link your portfolio or examples of recent work. Title the email “Textile Designer Application – [Your Name]” and attach your resume.
- What is your design manifesto or biography in two to three sentences?
- Please include a one page mood board and color palette for a Fall 2019 textile collection for The Citizenry. This collection could be made with our artisan partners in Mexico, Peru, India, Japan or a combination of those. Get creative.
Please note before submitting an application: as a company, we take hiring very seriously. Interviewing with The Citizenry may include video and phone interviews, projects, and/or on-site interviews. Although we are unable to follow-up with each and every application, we do our best to run a thorough process for candidates with whom we identify as a potential fit.