The Citizenry partners with thousands of artisans all over the world to bring their storied, time-tested craftsmanship to the modern home. Our goal? Create a new type of home decor shopping experience that delivers inspiring designs - and the stories behind them - with unprecedented standards of quality, transparency, and social responsibility.
We are seeking a Vice President of Digital to further this vision online, ensuring our digital experience is elegant, innovative, and most importantly, optimized to drive substantial growth.
The Vice President of Digital will report directly to our Co-Founder/CMO and will partner with senior leadership across the organization to deliver a high converting, customer-first digital experience. In this role, you will lead & continue to grow the e-commerce team - a tight-knit crew with a passion for the evolving landscape of digital commerce. You will also be asked to present plans to the board.
The ideal candidate views every shopping experience through the lens of analytics and optimization and has a proven track record of building teams and processes that scale.
You must be skilled in building long-term product roadmaps that balance business needs and brand equity, trends in technology and behavior, KPIs and budget. You don’t shy away from P&L ownership and high growth goals. You can plan high-level strategies 3+ years out while managing the digital merchandising, analytics, and reporting directives required to deliver the best experience day-to-day.
Delivering complex, needle-moving projects on-time and on-budget is your area of expertise, and you’re excited to bring that skillset to a growing organization where you’ll play a critical role shaping the future of the digital talent and business trajectory overall.
- Oversee the e-commerce business with full ownership of digital P&L
- Define site strategy and orchestrate full scope of UX/UI enhancements, merchandising and product launches with the team
- Deliver a best-in-class online experience, using CRO principles to optimize revenue generation through the funnel
- Build and execute a 3-year digital roadmap for both front-end and back-end site developments, including project specifications, timelines, and budgets across internal teams and agencies
- Manage technology investments, including identification of partners, working directly with Co-Founders to develop plans to scale (both revenue and team)
- Partner with Retail and Marketing teams to ensure an on-brand, seamless, and personalized user experience across channels, systems, and user journeys
- Establish site reporting cadence & structure, including post-launch performance review and weekly, monthly, quarterly dashboards to track progress to plan
- Utilize site analytics tools and user data to continuously improve the site experience
- Deliver organizational updates, ensuring roadmap visibility across departments
- Closely track consumer, tech & competitive trends to ensure innovation aligns with the future of omni-channel commerce. Continually stay one step ahead.
- Lead recruiting efforts to build a top tier digital team while fostering an open, collaborative culture that drives business and professional growth
- Roll up your sleeves and help fill in gaps when needed (after all, we are a startup)
- BS and MS/MBA (preferred) with 10+ years e-commerce experience at a leading retail brand; B2C startup experience is a plus.
- 7+ years of experience managing teams to deliver digital products, proven track record as a “leader/doer” for both strategy development and operational execution
- Demonstrated experience with e-commerce platforms (Shopify Plus preferable)
- Customer-first mindset & an understanding of the digital role in alleviating pain points
- Knowledge of development methodologies & expertise in digital project management
- Strong analytical skills, with a proven ability to craft clear and concise recommendations, businesses cases, and forecasts from complex data sets
- Technically fluent; equally adept at interfacing with both development and non-technical teams
- Basic HTML skills and understanding of development methodologies
- Proficiency in Google Analytics or comparable platform
- Experience implementing a CDP and/or CRM platform to inform decision making
- Working knowledge of e-commerce regulatory environment (ADA, GDPR, CCPA/CDPA)
- Thrives in a tight-knit community of colleagues bound by mutual respect and a shared mission, willingness to work at all levels to support the team or push the business forward
- Energy and drive to build a diverse, high-performing team that loves working together
- Desire to make a positive impact in the world and the day-to-day team culture
- Passion for the job and The Citizenry’s brand and vision
ABOUT THE CITIZENRY
The Citizenry is a modern home brand created to inspire people to fill their homes with more meaningful items crafted by the best artisans around the world.
We believe a design can only be as beautiful as the environment in which it’s made, so we demand quality – not just in the products we create, but also in the lives of the artisans we work with. We partner with thousands of artisans to craft our exclusive collections, and on average, they are paid wages two times the Fair Trade requirement. Together, we are setting new standards for retail.
The Citizenry was recently named one of Fast Company’s Top 20 Most Innovative Retail Companies and Interbrand’s Top Breakthrough Brands of 2020. Since launching in August 2014, the company has been featured in The New York Times, Financial Times, Vogue, and many other publications.
We chose the name “The Citizenry” to reflect the collective of individuals – artisans, designers, and dreamers – who rally together across cultures and continents to bring our collections to life.
As an equal opportunity employer, we celebrate diversity and believe our team is better when we have different perspectives, identities, origins, and abilities working together.
We welcome your application and look forward to getting to know you and your story.
Some benefits & perks of working at The Citizenry:
- Three weeks/year flexible vacation time
- Health, dental, and vision insurance
- Fitness & Wellness reimbursement
- Access to a beautiful on-site gym
- Inspiring office environment stocked with craft coffee and healthy snacks
- Summer/Fall 2021: Flexible in-office schedule, planning 2 - 3 days in Dallas office
- Allowances and discounts for really pretty home goods
- Relocation package, if needed
If you would like to apply, please send an email to email@example.com with your answers to the questions below (no cover letter required). Title the email “VP of Digital Application – [Your Name]” and attach your resume.
- Tell us about the defining project of your career to-date. Why this project? (7 sentences or less)
- What excites you most about this role? And what unique skills will you bring to the team? (7 sentences or less)
**Bonus points: Balancing commerce and storytelling is critical for purpose-driven retailers. Include a few links to sites that walk this line successfully. Tell us what they’re doing right.**