The Citizenry partners with thousands of artisans all over the world to bring storied, time-tested craftsmanship to the modern home. Our goal? Create a new type of home decor shopping experience that delivers inspiring designs - and the stories behind them - with unprecedented standards of quality, transparency, and social responsibility.
We are seeking an experienced Hard Goods Designer who shares our passion for creating home furnishings using traditional hand-crafted techniques and sustainable materials. The ideal candidate is eager to create products that follow our mission and collaborate with our team and artisan partners. You must understand The Citizenry's customer, style, and quality and have a keen eye for proportion and unique features. You are organized, detailed-oriented, and a team player.
As the Hard Goods Designer, you will play a critical role on The Citizenry’s design team, where we are constantly dreaming up new collections from across the globe. You will report directly to the Senior Director and collaborate with the Assistant Designer of Hard Goods to design new collections - creating sketches, technical specifications, sample comments, and quality control documentation. Throughout the design process, you will collaborate with our artisan partners as well as our sourcing, planning, and supply chain teams. Please note, this role is based in Dallas, Texas. Relocation assistance is provided if needed.
- You will report to the Senior Director of Hard Goods and collaborate closely with the Assistant Designer on all new collections through each stage of the development process across all Hard Goods categories: wood furniture, upholstery, storage, accents and decor.
- Research and present design trends and competitive analysis.
- Pull inspiration images and present design concepts.
- Create designs based on seasonal direction and within artisan capabilities, highlighting the best of artistry and craftsmanship from around the world.
- Develop finishes and upholstery fabrics.
- Create technical drawings, specifications, and quality control documents that are clear across languages, cultures, and varying literacy levels.
- Review samples with an eye for detail. Deliver comments to artisans in ways that are actionable, kind, and clear, in collaboration with the Assistant Designer.
- Review, approve, and archive CADs for production.
- Own the development process through daily communication with artisan partners.
- Track sample timing and progress in collaboration with the Assistant Designer.
- Proactively communicate issues and risks with the team and artisan partners to help problem solve and ensure the end product is as strong as the original vision.
- Create beautiful and straightforward design presentations (for internal teams and artisan partners).
- Maintain and organize design archives and libraries (samples, CADs, finishes, upholstery fabrics) with the Assistant Designer.
- Roll up your sleeves and fill in gaps when needed (after all, we are a startup).
- 5-8 years of furniture design experience.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Product Design, Industrial Design, Furniture Design, Architecture, or related field.
- Eye for design. You have a passion for home furnishings and interiors and have a firm grasp of The Citizenry’s aesthetic.
- Go-getter and problem-solver mindset. You have a get-it-done and no-task-too-small attitude. You see a problem and quickly resolve it.
- All about the details. You pay attention to the little things and can help quality-control samples to make sure everything is just right.
- Organized juggler. You take a busy day in stride. You can handle multiple projects and self-manage your time.
- Quick learner with a fast-paced working style. Willing and eager to learn new materials, finishing, and production techniques.
- You are always thinking, how can we do this better? You are a perfectionist when it comes to craftsmanship and quality. You believe all the details make the difference between a good and great product.
- Strong sketching and CAD abilities.
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite, Google WorkSpace, and CAD software (Graphite, Rhino or Solidworks).
- Strong presentation and communication skills, able to work across global cultures.
- Thrives in a tight-knit community of colleagues bound by mutual respect and a shared mission, willingness to work at all levels to support the team or push the business forward.
- Passion for the job and The Citizenry’s brand and vision.
- Fluency in a second language is valued but not required.
ABOUT THE CITIZENRY:
The Citizenry is a modern home brand created to inspire people to fill their homes with more meaningful items crafted by the best artisans around the world.
We believe a design can only be as beautiful as the environment in which it’s made, so we demand quality – not just in our designs we create, but also in the lives of the artisans we partner with. We partner with thousands of artisans to craft our exclusive collections, and on average, each is paid wages that are more than two times the fair-trade standard.
The Citizenry was recently named one of Fast Company’s Top 20 Most Innovative Retail Companies and Interbrand’s Top Breakthrough Brands of 2020. Since launching in August 2014, the company has been featured in The New York Times, Financial Times, Vogue, and many other publications.
We chose the name “The Citizenry” to reflect the collective of individuals – artisans, designers, and dreamers – who rally together across cultures and continents to bring our collections to life.
As an equal opportunity employer, we celebrate diversity and believe our team is better when we have different perspectives, identities, origins, and abilities working together.
We welcome your application and look forward to getting to know you and your story.
Some benefits & perks of working at The Citizenry:
- Three weeks/year flexible vacation time
- Health, dental, and vision insurance
- 401K matching program up to 4% of base salary
- Fitness & Wellness reimbursement
- Access to a beautiful on-site gym
- Inspiring office environment stocked with craft coffee and healthy snacks
- Flexible in-office schedule, planning 2 - 3 days in Dallas office
- Allowances and discounts for really pretty home goods
- Relocation package, if needed
Follow this link to submit your application.