The Citizenry was created to celebrate the best craftsmanship around the world. Amplifying those stories of craft and design across all media touchpoints is critical to success. We are seeking a Public Relations and Events Manager to orchestrate these messages and events that bring the brand to life in new, exciting ways for press, influencers, and most importantly, our customers.
The ideal candidate is a self-starter who thrives in a dynamic, fast-paced, growing organization. You must have a strong understanding of brand strategy and the art of crafting a concise, clear, and compelling message (both internally and externally).
You’ll be working directly with our Brand Marketing Director, Co-Founder, and PR agency to manage media outreach, pilot partnerships and influencer campaigns, and coordinate the execution of all events. From hotel takeovers to store openings and maker workshops, you must be ready to “think big,” while managing every little detail required to flawlessly execute.
THE JOBPublic Relations
- Support Brand Marketing Director on all PR/media opportunities, including developing potential storylines for new collections and leading thorough bi-weekly briefings for the PR agency
- Partner with external PR agency to develop an ongoing, proactive communications strategy
- Manage all PR projects, creating press kits (as needed), shipping press samples, and handling all inbound inquiries
- Orchestrate all screening, internal briefings, and draft responses for Co-Founder interviews
- Track performance and deliver monthly reports to highlight most impactful placements
- Play an active role in brainstorms to develop marketing tactics that will push the brand forward
- Craft end-to-end full scale influencer campaigns including influencer identification, activation, contract negotiations, product gifting, content approvals, and reporting and analytics
- Curate and maintain strategic, data-backed influencer lists that best fit brands’ marketing goals, persona, and target audience. Develop processes and frameworks to scale programs and outreach.
- Manage influencer budgets and optimize spend based on business goals and objectives
- Track and synthesize ongoing trends in influencer marketing to ensure we are best in class
- Develop and manage brand partnerships – contests, giveaways, events, etc.
- Support Brand Marketing Director and Co-Founder by vetting potential brand partnerships, outlining requirements, and interfacing with other brand representatives to execute partnership
- Identify opportunities to build The Citizenry’s brand and drive sales through influencer, press, and consumer events
- Partner with PR firm to manage the execution of bi-monthly “flagship” events, including influencer dinners, press previews, and hotel takeovers to support brand building and new collection launches
- Lead strategy and execution of events for new retail location openings (3 by the end of the year) and develop a “playbook” for store managers/employees to execute events moving forward
- Handle all internal moving pieces by scheduling, coordinating, and gathering relevant materials from other marketing sub-teams. Provide clear briefs, timelines, and plans to execute.
- Manage relationships with external vendors, including outreach, contracts, scheduling, and billing.
- Act as the team’s on-the-ground, day-of planner to ensure every detail is executed to perfection
- Roll up your sleeves and fill in gaps when needed (after all, we are a startup).
- BS or higher degree with 5+ years’ marketing/communications experience, preferably with public relations, influencer, or events focus
- Experience managing consistent brand strategies and messaging across a variety of channels
- Existing relationships with key interiors and business publications preferred
- Fluent in social media and the mechanics behind Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest and Twitter
- Understanding (or passion and willingness to learn) the home décor and startup landscape
- Strong all-around written communication skills: everything from pitches to C-level interviews
- A clear copy style that supports our belief that simple and concise is always more impactful
- A stickler for the details - exceptional organizational skills with the ability to multi-task and self-manage against tight timelines
- Strong problem solving and critical thinking skills, accountable for work every step of the way
- Photoshop skills a plus (if you don’t have them, be ready to learn!)
- Driven to make a positive impact in the world and your day-to-day environment
- Desire to grow along with The Citizenry team – ready to adapt in an entrepreneurial environment
- Comfortable with periodic travel
ABOUT THE CITIZENRY:
The Citizenry is a modern home brand created to inspire people to fill their homes with more meaningful items crafted by the best artisans around the world.
By selling directly to consumers online, we’re able to offer handcrafted, luxury-quality home goods at more reasonable prices than high-end boutiques. We also believe our designs are only as beautiful as the environments in which they are made, so social innovation is an integral part of our model.
In addition to providing fair wages and working environments for all artisan partners, 10% of proceeds are invested back into artisan communities worldwide.
Since launching in August 2014, The Citizenry has been featured in The New York Times, Fast Company, Forbes, The Financial Times, Vogue, InStyle, GQ, Apartment Therapy, and Monocle.Some benefits and perks of working at The Citizenry:
- Three weeks/year flexible vacation time
- Health, dental, and vision insurance
- Fitness & Wellness reimbursement
- Inspiring office environment stocked with craft coffee and healthy snacks
- Friday breakfasts from the team’s favorite places
- Access to beautiful on-site gym
- Allowances and discounts for really pretty home goods
- Relocation package, if needed
If you would like to apply, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org including your answers to the questions below (no cover letter required). Title the email “PR & Events Marketing Manager – [Your Name]” and attach your resume.
- What is your 140-character (limit) manifesto or biography? Get creative.
- Provide three writing samples. From pitches to tweets or long-form stories, pick the best three.
- **Bonus points: Provide an example where a brand broke through the clutter with a strong event, media placement, or partnership. In 7 sentences or less, tell us why this idea is so great.**