The Citizenry is at an exciting inflection point and is building out a dynamic team to achieve ambitious growth goals. By 2025, we plan to grow the business 5x, allowing us to expand and deepen the impact we deliver to artisans, their families, and their communities across more than 20 countries.
We are seeking innovators and builders who are excited to leverage their unique skills and experience to deliver consistently beautiful, sustainable, and ethically made home goods. The Citizenry offers an environment for extensive professional growth, providing the chance to manage great responsibility while delivering meaningful results as part of a high-performing team.
As the Senior Production Manager, you’ll be the go-to person for partners representing 1000+ artisans across multiple countries, geographic regions, and product categories – a mission-critical role at The Citizenry. You’ll also play a key role in defining how we measure, communicate, and extend our social impact. You’ll contribute to setting sustainability goals that will establish The Citizenry as the leader championing Environmental, Social, and Governance (ESG) standards in the home goods sector.
You are tenacious in your pursuit of social impact and environmental sustainability, relentless in solving entrenched problems, and nimble and soft-footed in your approach to communication and account management. You bring a considerate, analytical, and yet adaptable approach to managing our artisan partners, overseeing small-batch production around the world, and untangling international shipping logistics.
Exceptional interpersonal and time management skills are essential to thrive in this role. You must be a natural project manager with a strong process-orientation and the ability to problem-solve - and triage - quickly. You must be able to navigate complexity and identify and communicate smart solutions that balance customer demand and production capacity, while taking into account the diverse needs of partners, The Citizenry team, and customers.
You’ll report to the Director of Production and work with a Production team of 6 people. This is a highly visible and cross-functional role, you will collaborate with Planning, Design, and Product Development departments on new product development and E-Commerce, Fulfillment, and Customer Experience teams on production.
The ideal candidate has a background in project or account management in an emerging market and is familiar with ethical certifications and environmental, social, and governance systems. This is a highly entrepreneurial role – you must be a results-oriented self-starter, willing to go above and beyond to push this fast-growing social enterprise forward.
WHAT WE'RE LOOKING FOR
- Seven plus years professional experience, ideally in an emerging market.
- Experience in international development, production, account management, or strategy consulting preferred. Bonus points for experience working with a home goods, lifestyle, or fashion brand.
- You are a seasoned project and people manager, with a proven ability to balance urgent “firefighting” with longer term strategic deliverables.
- Fluent in English and business proficient in Spanish.
- Ability to effectively communicate visually and verbally in a multicultural environment.
- Exceptionally responsive across multiple communication channels – able to simultaneously send, receive, and track hundreds of communications a day and log a tremendous amount of detail.
- Fast working, detail-oriented, and analytical.
- Self-starter; comfortable owning complex processes in the face of ambiguity with a high level of responsibility.
- Passionate about The Citizenry’s social mission and the chance to work with artisan partners around the globe.
- Thrives in a community of colleagues bound by mission. You celebrate wins and appreciate everyone’s role in the process.
- Ability, experience, and desire to travel internationally (~5-10% of time).
- Bachelor degree is required; Master’s degree or MBA a plus.
THE JOBLead Artisan Partner Relationship Management
- Manage key artisan partner relationships in Latin America and other select regions.
- Serve as the team’s go-to expert on pillows, throws, and bath textiles production.
- Manage 40+ purchase orders at a time and oversee partner production and quality control.
- Oversee new product development and collection launches for your partner accounts.
- Build strong relationships with artisans, personalizing outreach, adding value to artisan businesses, and developing collaborative, trusted partnerships.
- Ensure on-time order delivery from artisan country of origin to The Citizenry warehouse.
- Book, prepare, and track incoming shipments daily, intervening where necessary.
- Communicate production timing to stakeholders across the company; anticipate delays, analyze implications, and proactively address challenges and delays to mitigate impact to business.
- Optimize supply chain and negotiate terms to maximize product margin and in-stock rates.
- Address quality issues, shipping damage, or negative reviews for your partners’ products.
Support Social Impact Strategy Development and Execution
- Work closely with the Director of Production to further establish ESG strategy.
- Oversee data collection for World Fair Trade Organization (WFTO) membership and be accountable for ensuring that 60+ artisan partners comply with Fair Trade standards.
- Institutionalize processes, metrics, and reports for measuring and communicating social impact.
- Administer annual impact survey, including communications, data collection, and data analysis.
- Prepare social impact reports for customers, PR firm, investors, and team.
Lead Artisan Capacity Building and Communications Program
- Work closely with the Director of Production to build a system to analyze artisan production capacity and address constraints.
- Develop artisan resource toolkit, scorecard, and annual performance and projections templates.
- Develop artisan communication program with the Senior Associate of Production.
- Research grants, investments, training, and other partnership opportunities to build artisan capacity and address production constraints.
Manage Senior Associate - Production
- Manage the Senior Associate of Production to successfully manage artisan partners, develop artisan communications content, and conduct WFTO monitoring and reporting.
- Mentor and support Senior Associate’s professional development.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITSSome benefits & perks of working at The Citizenry:
- Health, dental, and vision insurance
- Fitness & Wellness reimbursement
- Access to a beautiful on-site gym
- Inspiring office environment stocked with craft coffee and healthy snacks
- Summer/Fall 2021: Flexible in-office schedule, planning 2 - 3 days in Dallas office
- Allowances and discounts for really pretty home goods
- Relocation package, if needed
ABOUT THE CITIZENRY:
The Citizenry is a modern home brand created to inspire people to fill their homes with more meaningful items crafted by the best artisans around the world.
We believe a design can only be as beautiful as the environment in which it’s made, so we demand quality – not just in our designs we create, but also in the lives of the artisans we partner with. We partner with thousands of artisans to craft our exclusive collections, and on average, each is paid wages that are more than two times the fair-trade standard.
The Citizenry was recently named one of Fast Company’s Top 20 Most Innovative Retail Companies and one of Interbrand’s Top Breakthrough Brands of 2020. Since launching in August 2014, the company has been featured in The New York Times, Financial Times, Vogue, and many other publications.
We chose the name “The Citizenry” to reflect the collective of individuals – artisans, designers, and dreamers – who rally together across cultures and continents to set new standards for the industry.
As an equal opportunity employer, we celebrate diversity and believe our team is better when we have different perspectives, identities, origins, and abilities working together.
We welcome your application and look forward to getting to know you and your story.
If you’re excited by this role, we’re excited to hear from you. Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org including your answers to the questions below (no cover letter required). Title the email “Senior Production Manager – [Your Name]” and attach your resume.
- DISCERNMENT: Who is the next artisan group you think we should work with? Why?
- AGILITY: Describe a time you had to pivot a project you were leading. What informed your decision? How did you bring along and communicate the change to stakeholders?
- IMPACT: Share how you have contributed to social impact in your community or career. What was the impact? How did you measure it?