We’re expanding our retail footprint here at The Citizenry, and we’re looking for a Sales Associate to play a critical role in our Flagship store in NYC. Our ideal candidate is experienced and a team player — willing to go above and beyond to deliver a truly exceptional customer experience to The Citizenry community.
The key objective of this position is to reach and surpass sales goals. The Sales Associate will provide outstanding customer experience reflective of The Citizenry’s brand standards. Sales Associates will be expected to build and develop strong relationships with clients and meet new clients through networking and clienteling efforts.
This is an entrepreneurial role, and you’ll help develop and execute standards of excellence that will be rolled out to all future store locations. You’ll be a source of design inspiration and styling advice to customers, as well as a true representative of The Citizenry brand.
The cherry on top? Your work will progress The Citizenry’s brand mission, helping to preserve artisanal craftsmanship and provide sustainable income to thousands of artisans around the world.
What you'll be charged with day-to-day:
- Deliver an exceptional customer experience and drive business by forming new relationships and engaging with loyal customers IRL
- Serve as a passionate, knowledgeable, brand representative and stylist who engages with customers and gives expert home styling advice
- Provide a friendly and welcoming environment for both the client and peers
- Achieve and exceed goals through sales strategies, clienteling, sourcing new customers, while maintaining and building productive long-term relationships with new and existing customers
- Maintain and grow existing clients; keep records of client tastes, milestones, and goals for future purchases
- Follow through with customer experience and maintain client book, utilizing thank you cards, business cards, and other forms of customer communication (email / phone)
- Demonstrate effective phone etiquette and customer service when handling incoming calls
- Actively maintain store and stockroom organization and ensure merchandise on the sales floor meets brand standards. Assist with additional merchandising activities (including, but not limited to: daily stock maintenance and order, stock receiving and processing, product transfers).
- Develop expertise on our products for our customers and other sales associates (including staying up-to-date on new product / collection launches)
- Complete all transactions with zero errors, follow appropriate procedures when operating cash registers and balancing drawers
ATTITUDES & BEHAVIORS
- You’re a team player. You have a “no job is too small” attitude - willing to get your hands dirty and help out wherever needed.
- You’re an overachiever (we see that as a great thing). You’re always thinking up new ways to deliver exceptional customer experiences.
- You own it. You’ve got a strong work ethic.
- You’re a people person. You can talk to anyone, love building a client base, and have no problem handling difficult customer interactions.
- You’re entrepreneurial and scrappy. You’re comfortable in a fast-paced, ever-changing environment.
- You’ve got an eye for design. You’re excited to serve as a trusted home design consultant.
- You’re passionate. You’re interested in design & travel, and believe in our brand.
- 1-3 years (or more) of specialty retail experience at a strong brand
- Luxury or contemporary experience preferred (bonus points for fashion or home decor)
- Demonstrated ability to drive sales and grow business
- Weekend availability required; flexible working schedule a must - including weekends, events, evenings, etc.
- Strong written and verbal skills (bonus points for additional language skills)
- Knowledge of cash register systems, basic computer skills (including the ability to use iPads, laptops, Mobile POS, and Wifi / Internet)
- Ability to carry 25-50 lb. boxes as well as bend, reach, lift, and move stock and products
ABOUT THE CITIZENRY:
The Citizenry is a modern home brand created to inspire people to fill their homes with more meaningful items crafted by the best artisans around the world.
By selling directly to consumers online, we’re able to offer handcrafted, luxury-quality home goods at more reasonable prices than high-end boutiques. We also believe our designs are only as beautiful as the environments in which they are made, so social innovation is an integral part of our model.
In addition to providing fair wages and working environments for all artisan partners, 10% of proceeds are invested back into artisan communities worldwide.
Since launching in August 2014, The Citizenry has been featured in The New York Times, The Financial Times, Vogue, InStyle, GQ, Apartment Therapy, and Monocle.Some benefits and perks of working at The Citizenry:
- Three weeks/year flexible vacation time
- Health, dental, and vision insurance
- Fitness & Wellness reimbursement
- Inspiring office environment stocked with craft coffee and healthy snacks
- Friday breakfasts from the team’s favorite places
- Access to beautiful on-site gym
- Allowances and discounts for really pretty home goods
- Relocation package, if needed
If you’re up for this challenge, please send an email to email@example.com including your answers to the questions below (no cover letter required). Title the email “Sales Associate Application - Part Time - [Your Name]” and attach your resume.
- What excites you most about this role? And what unique skills will you bring to the team? (7 sentences or less).
- What brand creates your favorite customer experience & why?
We’re currently screening applications. If your experience is a good match for what we’re looking for, we’ll be in touch with a quick video interview, then arrange to meet you in person.