The Citizenry is at an exciting inflection point and is building out a dynamic team to achieve ambitious growth goals. By 2025, we plan to grow the business 5x, allowing us to expand and deepen the impact we deliver to artisans, their families, and their communities across more than 20 countries.
We are seeking innovators and builders who are excited to leverage their unique skills and experience to deliver consistently beautiful, sustainable, and ethically made home goods. The Citizenry offers an environment for extensive professional growth, providing the chance to manage great responsibility while delivering meaningful results as part of a high-performing team.
As the Senior Production Manager - Hard Goods, you’ll work closely with the Director of Production to craft the strategy for growing our hard goods supply chain and building the infrastructure to triple the revenue it drives over the next two years. You’ll also be the go-to person for partners representing 1000+ artisans across multiple countries and geographic regions, and the expert on the hard goods supply chain – a mission-critical role at The Citizenry.
You are a wizard at assembling disparate puzzle pieces to anticipate issues and identify creative solutions, you thrive under pressure, and you see challenges as an opportunity to deliver iterative improvement. You are equally comfortable and adept at architecting systems, fighting fires, or building relationships and can seamlessly switch between these tasks. When it comes to our artisan partners, you bring a considerate, analytical, and adaptable approach to overseeing their small-batch production around the world.
An analytical approach and resilient mindset are essential to thrive in this role. You must be a natural project manager with a strong process-orientation and the ability to problem-solve - and triage - quickly. You must be able to navigate complexity and identify and communicate smart solutions that balance cost, speed, external supply chain constraints, customer experience, and partner capacity. Exceptional interpersonal skills are a must.
You’ll report to the Director of Production, work with a Production team of six people, and regularly interact with both Co-Founders. This is a cross-functional role; you will collaborate closely with Planning, Design, and Product Development departments on new product development and E-Commerce, Fulfillment, and Customer Experience teams on production.
The ideal candidate has a background building a new business line from the ground up or has contributed to growing an early stage start-up and brings experience in supply chain logistics. This is a highly entrepreneurial role – you must be a results-oriented self-starter, willing to go above and beyond to push this fast-growing social enterprise forward.
WHAT WE'RE LOOKING FOR
- Seven plus years professional experience, ideally launching a new business line or venture.
- Experience in project management, production, strategy consulting, or logistics management preferred. Bonus points for experience working internationally or with a home goods brand.
- Expertise in building systems and processes and/or crafting and executing strategy.
- Ability to effectively communicate visually and verbally in a multicultural environment.
- You are a seasoned project and people manager, with a proven ability to balance urgent “firefighting” with longer term strategic deliverables.
- Self-starter; comfortable owning complex processes in the face of ambiguity with a high level of responsibility.
- Exceptionally responsive across multiple communication channels – able to simultaneously send, receive, and track hundreds of communications a day and log a tremendous amount of detail.
- Thrive in a community of colleagues bound by mission. You celebrate wins and appreciate everyone’s role in the process.
- Ability, experience, and desire to travel internationally (~5-10% of time).
- Fluent in English; business proficiency in second language strongly preferred.
- Bachelor degree is required; Master’s degree or MBA a plus.
THE JOBSupport Hard Goods Supply Chain Strategy Development
- Work closely with the Director of Production to craft supply chain growth strategy.
- Collaborate with Product Development to develop sourcing and vetting tools for hard goods artisan partners.
- Identify and analyze hard goods partnership opportunities.
- Build The Citizenry capabilities to successfully procure, produce, and ship hard-goods.
- Optimize hard-goods supply chain and negotiate to maximize product margin and in-stock rates.
- Serve as the team’s go-to expert for hard goods production.
Lead Artisan Partner Relationship Management
- Manage artisan partners working in hard goods.
- Evaluate artisan production capacity and develop plans to address production constraints.
- Communicate 40+ purchase orders at a time and oversee production and quality control.
- Communicate product delivery timing to company stakeholders; anticipate delays, analyze implications, and proactively address challenges and delays to minimize business impact.
- Address quality issues, shipping damage, or negative reviews for your partners’ products.
- Build strong relationships with artisans, personalizing outreach, adding value to artisan businesses, and developing collaborative, trusted partnerships.
Lead Logistics Management
- Lead research and analysis on domestic shipping options for hard-goods working with Fulfillment and E-Commerce teams.
- Develop strategy to ship large items to customers and develop and execute project plan to transition to preferred shipping solution.
- Ensure on-time order delivery from artisan country of origin to The Citizenry warehouse.
- Oversee Packaging Manager to develop shipment plans for new artisans and collection launches.
Hire and Manage Packaging Manager
- Lead hiring process for identifying and onboarding a Packaging Manager.
- Manage the Packaging Manager to develop packaging for new and existing products, analyze and address damages and returns, lead quality control, optimize shipping to minimize costs, and create a system for incorporating and addressing customer product feedback.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
Some benefits & perks of working at The Citizenry:
- Health, dental, and vision insurance
- Fitness & Wellness reimbursement
- Access to beautiful on-site gym
- Inspiring office environment stocked with craft coffee and healthy snacks
- Summer/Fall 2021: Flexible in-office schedule, planning 2-3 days in Dallas office
- Allowances and discounts for really pretty home goods
- Relocation package, if needed
ABOUT THE CITIZENRY:
The Citizenry is a modern home brand created to inspire people to fill their homes with more meaningful items crafted by the best artisans around the world.
We believe a design can only be as beautiful as the environment in which it’s made, so we demand quality – not just in our designs we create, but also in the lives of the artisans we partner with. We partner with thousands of artisans to craft our exclusive collections, and on average, each is paid wages that are more than two times the fair-trade standard.
The Citizenry was recently named one of Fast Company’s Top 20 Most Innovative Retail Companies and one of Interbrand’s Top Breakthrough Brands of 2020. Since launching in August 2014, the company has been featured in The New York Times, Financial Times, Vogue, and many other publications.
We chose the name “The Citizenry” to reflect the collective of individuals – artisans, designers, and dreamers – who rally together across cultures and continents to set new standards for the industry.
As an equal opportunity employer, we celebrate diversity and believe our team is better when we have different perspectives, identities, origins, and abilities working together.
We welcome your application and look forward to getting to know you and your story.
If you’re excited by this role, we’re excited to hear from you. Send an email to email@example.com including your answers to the questions below (no cover letter required). Title the email “Senior Production Manager – Hard Goods - [Your Name]” and attach your resume.
- DISCERNMENT: Who is the next artisan group you think we should work with? Why?
- AGILITY: Describe a time you had to pivot a project you were leading. What informed your decision? How did you bring along and communicate the change to stakeholders?
- ENTREPRENEURSHIP: Give an example of a time you had to “build the plane while flying it.” What was your approach and what was the end result?