Do you have a passion for designing and developing products that make a difference? Carry a sketchbook full of rug, pillow and throw ideas? Spend your spare time researching traditional weaving techniques? If so, you may be the Textile Design Intern The Citizenry is looking for.
We are looking for someone who shares our passion for socially conscious goods and is eager to work within these constraints to create the highest quality products imaginable. The ideal candidate loves problem solving, has killer presentation skills, and is jazzed about playing an integral (and not always easy) role in a small, fast-paced startup environment.
This role will assist the design team in the design and development of new collections, focusing on pillows, throws and rugs. With no two days alike, you’ll be learning a lot with us.
WHAT WE'RE LOOKING FOR
- Eye for design. You have an appreciation for home décor and a firm grasp of The Citizenry’s aesthetic.
- Strong sketching abilities.
- Proficiency in Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, and PowerPoint.
- Strong research skills. From unique weaving techniques to color trends, you’re ready to dive in.
- Go-getter. You have a get-it-done and no-task-too-small attitude.
- All about the details. You pay attention to the little things and can help quality-control samples and documents to make sure everything is in its right place.
- Quick learner. You have a knack for picking things up quickly.
- Organized juggler. You take a busy day in stride. You can handle multiple projects and self-manage time.
- Problem solver. You take action. You see a problem and quickly move to resolve it.
- A sense of humor. Days can get long. Problems can get tricky. As long as we can laugh together, it’s all fun.
- Maintain and organize design resources and library (swatch books, visual product boards, samples, supplies)
- Review first, second, third (you get the picture) samples with an eye for detail. Create initial comments.
- Support Product Development by assisting in artisan research, attending artisan vetting calls, conducting competitive research.
- Create beautiful and straightforward design presentations (for internal teams and artisan partners)
- Assist in creating technical sketches and specification documents that are clear across languages, cultures, and varying literacy levels
- Roll up your sleeves and help fill in gaps when needed (after all, we are a startup)
- Able to work at least 40 hours per week for 10 – 12 weeks
- Able to bring laptop computer
- Able to work locally in Dallas for the duration of the internship is a plus
- Must be pursuing a degree in Textiles or Fibers
ABOUT THE CITIZENRY:
The Citizenry is a modern home brand created to inspire people to fill their homes with more meaningful items crafted by the best artisans around the world.
By selling directly to consumers online, we’re able to offer handcrafted, luxury-quality home goods at more reasonable prices than high-end boutiques. We also believe our designs are only as beautiful as the environments in which they are made, so social innovation is an integral part of our model.
Since launching in August 2014, The Citizenry has been featured in The New York Times, The Financial Times, Vogue, InStyle, GQ, Apartment Therapy, and Monocle.
We chose the name “The Citizenry” to reflect the collective of individuals – artisans, designers, and dreamers – who rally together across cultures and continents to create something beautiful.
As an equal opportunity employer, we celebrate diversity and believe our team is better when we have different perspectives, identities, origins, and abilities working together.
We welcome your application and look forward to getting to know you and your story.
If you would like to apply, please send an email to Caris@the-citizenry.com including your answer to the question below by May 1. Title the email “Textile Design Intern Application – [Your Name]” and attach your resume and a sample of your portfolio.
- In less than 7 sentences, what is the one thing that makes you most excited about this position?