The Citizenry partners with thousands of artisans all over the world to bring their storied, time-tested craftsmanship to the modern home. Our goal? Create a new type of home decor shopping experience that delivers inspiring designs - and the stories behind them - with unprecedented standards of quality, transparency, and social responsibility.
We are seeking a visionary Design Director to expand our furniture offering with a custom line of fabric upholstery and solid wood designs. You must be highly creative, strategic, and ready to roll up your sleeves to lead the development of new, signature styles from the ground up.
In this role, you will collaborate across the organization to build a collection roadmap that translates our customer’s modern aesthetic and discerning taste into heirloom-quality designs. You will play a crucial role at The Citizenry, continuing to prove that thoughtful design has the power to transform industries for the better.
The ideal candidate is equally adept at day-to-day design execution and providing oversight for a growing team. You must be an expert in all aspects of artisanal furniture design and manufacturing, with an emphasis on sourcing sustainable materials. In-depth knowledge of engineering, fabrication and packaging for the furniture category is critical for this role.
- Lead the design and development of The Citizenry’s furniture collection from concept to production, crafting original yet timeless styles that meet timelines and sales targets.
- Identify assortment opportunities based on emerging trends, customer needs and competitive research. Partner with Planning to layer on data to inform merchandising strategies.
- Execute and oversee the creation of technical sketches, specifications, sample comments, and quality control documents that are clear and actionable across languages and varying literacy levels.
- Manage the process in a hands-on way to perfect the frame, pattern, scale, shape, and comfort of the product as much as possible before samples are produced.
- Source materials and hardware specific to each manufacturer’s region and capabilities with a focus on sustainability. Working knowledge of various wood types and their unique properties is key.
- Partner with the Product Development to identify new artisan partners and heritage manufacturers; create and maintain strong relationships with all suppliers.
- Collaborate with the Production to ensure quality control standards are met throughout the product life cycle.
- Be an active problem solver by working with artisan partners, Fulfillment, and Customer Experience to resolve issues that arise regarding product quality.
- Mentor a Hard Goods Designer and lead recruiting efforts to expand Furniture Design Team in the years ahead; build an internal culture focused on elevated design, innovation, and sustainability.
- Manage team priorities and align timeliness of deliverables across internal resources and artisan partners.
- Present new collections to leadership and internal teams through the lens of merchandising and mission.
- Actively track and manage annual budgets for sampling & team travel.
- Roll up your sleeves and fill in gaps when needed (after all, we are a startup).
- 8-10 years furniture design experience, 4+ years managing a team.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Furniture Design, Industrial Design or related field
- A firm grasp of The Citizenry customer and overall brand aesthetic
- Proven track record of designing into business plans that drive results. Experience launching full collections is ideal. Bonus points for experience working with both domestic and international manufacturers.
- Strong sketching abilities with an expertise in SolidWorks, Adobe Creative Suite
- In-depth knowledge of manufacturing handcrafted furniture including engineering, woodworking, upholstery, material fabrications, hardware, packaging, and pricing.
- Ability to own the design process from concept to production, crafting a concise collection narrative and distilling key insights and decision points for leadership.
- Entrepreneurial attitude with a strong understanding of business strategy and cost margin analysis to drive decision making.
- Highly-organized perfectionist when it comes to craftsmanship and quality. You believe all the details make the difference between a good and great product.
- Superior time and project management skills; able to shift gears seamlessly and get the ball to the finish line while overseeing a team and multiple projects/deadlines.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills across global cultures
- Proficient in Microsoft PowerPoint and Google WorkSpace
- Comfortable with domestic and international travel, estimating 4 - 6 times a year
- Leader/doer mindset that thrives in a tight-knit community of colleagues bound by mutual respect and a shared mission, willing to work at all levels to support the team or push the business forward
- Desire to make a positive impact in the world and the day-to-day team culture
- Passion for the job and The Citizenry’s brand and vision
ABOUT THE CITIZENRY:
The Citizenry is a modern home brand created to inspire people to fill their homes with more meaningful items crafted by the best artisans around the world.
We believe a design can only be as beautiful as the environment in which it’s made, so we demand quality – not just in our designs we create, but also in the lives of the artisans we partner with. We partner with thousands of artisans to craft our exclusive collections, and on average, each is paid wages that are more than two times the fair-trade standard.
The Citizenry was recently named one of Fast Company’s Top 20 Most Innovative Retail Companies and Interbrand’s Top Breakthrough Brands of 2020. Since launching in August 2014, the company has been featured in The New York Times, Financial Times, Vogue, and many other publications.
We chose the name “The Citizenry” to reflect the collective of individuals – artisans, designers, and dreamers – who rally together across cultures and continents to bring our collections to life.
As an equal opportunity employer, we celebrate diversity and believe our team is better when we have different perspectives, identities, origins, and abilities working together.
We welcome your application and look forward to getting to know you and your story.
Some benefits & perks of working at The Citizenry:
- Three weeks/year flexible vacation time
- Health, dental, and vision insurance
- Fitness & Wellness reimbursement
- Access to a beautiful on-site gym
- Inspiring office environment stocked with craft coffee and healthy snacks
- Summer/Fall 2021: Flexible in-office schedule, planning 2 - 3 days in Dallas office
- Allowances and discounts for really pretty home goods
- Relocation package, if needed
Follow this link to submit your application.